This is the first of a series of three papers designed to determine the following
- define the NHS General Managers' concept of management information in the
- identify the General Managers' understanding of their own roles in the manager-patient
relationship, their organisation and how that effects their information needs;
the problem of identifying the information needs of the General Managers’ and
their difficulties in defining their own information requirements and the nature
of those needs;
- understand how General Managers' work with information within
their environment ;
- analyse their attitudes to information and their needs in
a rapidly changing environment; and
- develop both a theory of, and recommend practice
for change in the area of the General Managers' information needs.
This first paper examines the areas of managing information within the NHS
and the General Managers concepts of management information in the NHS.